I have spent a good part of the morning in front of my television. A lot of that time was also spent trying to get my two little boys to sit and watch with me. They don’t understand that they are watching history as it is made. Finally, I just tell them to just sit and watch so tomorrow when your teachers ask you can say that yes you did watch Obama.
I do understand that they don’t see the importance of today. After all I don’t ever recall any president being sworn in either. I couldn’t even tell you if I have ever in my life sat down and watched the event.
I try and explain to the kids why it is important and I think all that I managed was for TanMan to understand that today is Obama’s first day on the job and that Bush is no longer the President.
I have never been very involved in politics. When the Mad-Sci held a position on a local city council, I hated it. Never was it more obvious that people are really only out for what will better their own lives. Even on a much smaller scale it is all still the same. People have their own agendas and that is what motivates them. I can't be sure that people really do care about their neighbor-and sometimes not even their own family.
So anyway, today as I watch history, I wonder will it ever really change. Obama may be a new face in the crowd but every one around him is still the same. Career politicians. It is great to hear the speeches about love and unity and fighting on as one nation but me ever being the pessimist wonders…..
Will the man sleeping under the bridge be led to a warm bed tonight and wake up able to work tomorrow?
Will the families here waiting from someone to come home from Iraq suddenly be given the finances they need to continue on?
Will our new crew of leaders suddenly sprout halos and be honest, law abiding citizens?
Will the poor old couple suddenly get relief and have their much needed prescriptions filled and have their refrigerator full at the same time?
The people you see in front of you at the store buying groceries with food stamps, tomorrow will they find a way to start supporting their family?
The poor abused or neglected children of our nation-will they suddenly be saved from the horrors they endure?
No, none of those things will change. The bad guys will always be the bad guys, the good will always be good. And the politicians will always be just that. I have a hard time imagining that President Obama is going to change the world. I also don’t think it really matters what color his skin is. That never did play into how I felt about this whole election thing. I already knew that the times had changed. That no matter your color, you can be what you set your mind to. I watch my children, especially my 8 year old. He doesn’t even know what racism is. Good or bad-he doesn’t know it. Because I don’t let him know it and neither do our schools.
I work hard, my family and friends all work hard. We sometimes struggle, sometimes we struggle a lot. Do I think the new President or any of the old really have an impact on my daily life? Not so much. I think that they are all so out of touch with the real world that it is hard for me to even imagine them making a difference anywhere-except in their own pockets.
I will say it is an awesome thing to see though-that so many Americans come together to hear about peace and unity. That as a nation we are getting back to it. Maybe there is a change in the works…I just know that it will be years, and that I still need to feed my own children, figure out how to purchase the next load of fuel for my home to keep the babies warm. Will our health insurance be enough to keep us safe and healthy? Then, in my mind, I see some bank executive lying on the beach letting MY government bail his sorry butt out.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Every little difference we each make will in the long run effect the outcome. The president and the government seem to do a lot on their own, but the differences that we the people make are the ones that count. Just like you and your boys and what you teach them... that will follow on in history to their children etc. It is important that we each in our own way do what is right for the good of all. It all starts with our families and families do make a difference. 'On Ya'-ma
The freak show is over and new Mcee is in the big top!
I have laid on a hotel bed watching Obama on TV all night. Every news channel here has his speeches, his dreams his words.
I agree with what you have written, but one thing I think you have missed is. He's passing it back to you all. You work your butt off for your kids, their future and your community. What he wants is EVERYONE in America to be like you. There can then be change, but he's not just looking at Americans, he's looking at the rest of the world too. For years America has lead the world, over the past 8 years, the world has looked on in horror at the what America has become. As he said today. We'll extend an open hand if you uncleanch your fist.
I for one am willing to change to make this world a better place. You do the best you can. We need more like you and I to create a sea of change, not just in America, but around the world.
Phew... now to finish off my glass of wine and into bed.... Gaz xxx
I am trying to have a positive spin on things. All that is left is to have hope. I am hoping that he will at least change some attitudes and bring hope which could change a lot right there. lol
I totally understand what you are saying; between you and me (and everyone who reads your comments) I don't get why people think things will change (and for the better); I don't see that happening and I see a lot of hard times ahead; I think I must be either extremely pessimistic or I'm not thoroughly understanding what I'm getting from the Lord through the Bible, but I think He's telling me us as a country need to repent and turn back to him and not being politically correct anymore but morally correct but those that I talk to don't seem to get it; all I know is my hope is in Jesus and I'll continue to pray for our new president but my hope is not in him
betty
It IS a new day, no matter who is President. Each new day dawning, is a new day and a new chance. I will say that I have never ever in my life been part of such a huge crowd, for hours and hours, packed, mobbed, whatever, and wow everyone was so polite, and nice, and talking w/ each other, and just amazing to see that the whole subway ride down and back even. People said they understood the hours long security line backups even if frustrated (many could not ever get in). That is change already. Not even just there, even, but in the stores and on the streets. Strangers all, interacting positively, sharing, embracing, polite. At least a few of these will carry on and be like that at least a little bit more. Inspiration is sometimes one person at a time. If we have almost 2 million (I'm one of the 5K+ not counted even if we were there 2 blocks away) and not just one person, well, we can hope and we can try, ourselves. One day, one moment, one person at a time even if the other person doesn't get it. I know you set good examples for your sons, one mother, two kids, at a time. It is important for kids to grasp that their President has changed, no matter which one, when they can. Here's to a new day, every day:)
Hello Miss Silverdoe,
I so agree with you! They keep saying CHANGE has come. I feel the only change we will see is a change of faces. I so hope he proves me wrong and He puts this great nation back on it's feet but, I afraid that's a job Barak Obama is not going to be able to do!
God Bless
Randy
My young adopted grandson, African-American, watched it in school, has not said much about it, has not yet been touched by racism. No doubt that will happen later. He knows, intellectually, that it wasn't that long ago that a person of his color could not be president but it doesn't seem to mean as much as it does to older persons. Or probably as much as it would if here were being raised with Black parents and grandparents. It's a whole different world, and I guess that's what Obama's election is all about, in many ways.
Post a Comment