Happy Hump Day! Boy, the days are just flying by, the first week of January complete. And let me just say, today is a happy day for me. Remember, it is always the small things that make my day.
I spent the day working, making cold calls for our business. Doing cold calls is my least favorite thing in the world to do. It was a long day with both boys off to school. Our morning went pretty well, no running like crazy people to meet the bus. Both boys got up with pretty good attitudes. Both agreed on oatmeal and bacon for breakfast and I pinched myself to make sure it all wasn't a dream.
I stood waiting at the window for the bus to drop off the boys. Our driveway is long so I always watch to make sure they both get off. Today I saw that TDog was carrying a paper. Uh oh I thought, what is that??? Bad news? Did he get in trouble?? As he came closer I could see by the two sheets he was carrying that it was his spelling test. When he noticed me standing in the window he waved that paper in the air and ran up to the house. I breathed a sigh of relief. I yanked open the door and asked how many????? Only one wrong!!! Hooray!!! It was the word scientists and after closer inspection he had the word spelled scientis -he left off the two last letters! I am not ashamed (although TDOG probably is) to say I had a big lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.
So there you have it. The power of Wii. TDog took this same test on Monday and had 8 out of 15 wrong. The deal is - no Wii unless he has 1 or less wrong on his tests. He now gets to rent a Wii game for the week. It cost me $5.99 per game for 5 days. It feels a little like I am buying him off, but man, I'll take it. I know the kid has the capabilities to do well he just needs motivation. The Wii is the first video game I have allowed in our home and I only did that because it is an active game. Although after this last week end, when I foolishly allowed him to rent a WWE Smackdown Wrestling game, I was second guessing myself.
Now that TDog only had 1 wrong, Friday's test puts him up in the challenge word category. Much harder words but he is at this very moment working on them! Maybe only a Mom gets this, but when you see your child take on a challenge and thensucceed it makes everything so worth it. Any mom reading this will also know what I mean by "everything"! Dad's might get it too, I suppose. However, here is the conversation between the Mad Sci and myself when I called to report the good news:
Me: Guess what!!??
Him: What? What happened now?
Me: TDog got off the bus holding his spelling test.
Him: How bad this time?
Me: It was great, I cried even.
Him: WTH? You cried? What are you talking about??
Me: He only got 1 wrong and it was scientists
Him: Oh yeah? That's great, let me talk to him.
Me: OK...finally something good in my life.
Him:okkkkkkkk but just between you and me, I couldn't spell scientist if my life depended on it!!
Me: I know- but he doesn't need to know that!!
I need to explain.......the mad scientist, he can fix or build just about anything. He is an inventor and creates things that make you shake your head in wonder. He knows geography (which I suck at) and is very good at both history and current events. He is one of those crazy people with a genius mind but cannot spell because it just isn't important to him- which we are both doing our best to keep from the kids. LOL
Reading this you may be thinking that I have crossed a new line as far as being just out right lame. That's what my 8 year old will say. But I'm feeling pretty dang proud and I take those when they come...and then let em make my day!!
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
WTG to TDog!! I'm proud of him!!! (its okay to bribe them, LOL; my former pastor's wife said it was okay to bribe your kids to learn Scripture so I think bribing them to do well on a spelling test is okay; actually its good motivation and you just make the payout a little harder the next time or two; 2 weeks of good spelling tests than you get a game, etc)
doing good mom!
betty
Congrats to TDog!! You have every right to be proud! I love spelling myself. I guess because I am a fairly good speller. I used to love the spelling bees we would have at school when I was a girl. My dad would never tell us how to spell anything when we were kids. He used to make us look it up in the dictionary. I guess that must have helped!
Congrats Tdog
Thats why we have spell check lol!
Those are the kind of days we treasure and put in our memory banks for sure. 'On Ya'-ma
Hello Miss silverdoe,
What ever it takes bribes or wii iy doesn't matter. Great entry congratulations to the Little speller.
God Bless
Randy
You're like the cat that got the cream and rightly so!
Gaz
Post a Comment