Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A quick update

Here I am. I am alive and well-tired but I am here. I survived yet another move-which really is a pain in the rear end. I was able to move our entire lives except for the heavy stuff (furniture anyway-the heavy junk sticks to me like glue) by myself while the mad scientist was at work and the kids were in school. I am now 30 minutes further from my folks, which makes them sad and makes me drive a whole lot more. My Dad is doing pretty well-he is doing rehab now and is building his strength back up. My Mother has been ill though and that has created a whole other set of worries. Does it never end?

I did not quit my post office job - yet. I had planned to and still plan on quitting. I hate quitting-quitting is such a negative word. I was all ready to "part ways" and then thought about the week I had agreed to work and the $ it would mean right after a move. Moving is just not cheap and there is Christmas looming up ahead at me. The cart before the horse.

The mad-scientist has invited 10 or so people here for Thanksgiving-which sadly means I wont be spending it with my own family. I do see my folks almost daily though and they are very understanding about it. I am trying to be happy about the Thanksgiving plans that were made without any consideration of my feelings-since there is that next holiday coming and I will be without any doubt spending that at my folks as I have for my entire life. Giving up Thanksgiving for Christmas is an o.k. trade. All things are relative.

I am busy driving a 40 mile round trip back to the boys school. I haven't made the switch yet with them. T-Dog is pretty nervous about starting at a new school and that makes me sad. I know he will do o.k.-better than I would. I have to keep telling myself this is not me-it is my outgoing little boy who makes friends easily. TanMan is very excited about the new school-at age 5 anything new is a exciting adventure I suppose. I agreed to one more week at the old school so T-Dog could go on a field trip with his class. He had been looking forward to it for weeks and I couldn't just say - 'oops sorry, even though you have been planning and looking forward to that-it won't happen'. So....this week is it and it is worth it. The field trip was yesterday and when Thomas got in the car after school his exact words were..."the field trip was awesome!"


It took me almost two weeks to find the time to unpack my computer and then get all the new DSL junk all set up...If I gotta be married to the mad scientist it sure would be nice if he could do computers...but nope-that is way out of his realm. He can run the phone lines but that is it...so after nearly yanking all the hair out of my head last night-here I am today with hundreds of journals to catch up on.......

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The hard part is over now so hopefully you can re-coop a bit. That driving cannot be a pleasant thing. Hopefully the boys will be settled in their new school soon. Glad you dad is better and hope your Moms illness soon will be over too. 'On Ya'-ma

Robin said...

Oh my gosh, I'd be going nuts, especially w/ the computer stuff that's out of my realm, also. And yep, I'd let the boys stay in school until a good transition time, also, whatever that means. Thanksgiving for Christmas is a decent tradeoff, even if you should ahve been consulted first, but hey, you can only move forward at this point, not back! You likely get benefits with that postal job, also, so yeah, do what you need to do, stay, stay a while, leave, whatever works, just make sure before you leave and get that extra money in right now. May your Thanksgiving, AND Christmas, be grand. (Your parents aren't well enough to visit you for Thanksgiving, then? I know what that's like; sorry.)

Saltydawg said...

Oh Wow, I'm still trying to work out why the mad scientist wanted to move first place!
Hugs to ya, cos you are one hell of a lady.
Gaz xxx

betty said...

so glad you updated!! I had forgotten you were moving; moving! my least favorite thing and you are right it is expensive even if you do a lot of it yourself. glad you are settling in; I agree with letting the kids ease into the new school; like another person said in their comment, ease them into the new school and also if it is like after Thanksgiving break, that might be a good time to do it. My kids have changed school 2 times mid year and did okay with it; there's something "special" about being the new kid; kids like to hang out with you

I don't think it ever changes; there's always something going on; glad your dad is doing good; sorry about your mom being sick; once we think we get it all figured out, then of course, something gets thrown to us that throws us all off again

have a Happy Thanksgiving if I don't "talk" to you before then

Ben said...

Sounds like controlled insanity. In other words, everything's right on normal schedule.

Ben
http://ben-better_left_unsaid.blogspot.com/